29905560

Hi, I currently work fulltime and been I keep applying for

Hi, I currently work fulltime and been I keep applying for job vacancies within my company national express I keep getting turned down for these jobs everytime from present and goes back through the years to 2004. can I do anything about it.
secondly their was 1 particular job I wanted to do and I kept going to see my manager about and after a few years of trying it was suggested by myself that I go and try it on a voluntary basis ive done 10 months now to date doing the same job and shifts as normal paid office people and recently I had applied for a vacancy that I now got good experience by doing the same job and attended an interview as three positions was on offer I still didn't get either one same letter back saying I regret that on this occasion other candidates have more closely matched our requirements and therefor we will not be pursuing your application any further.
I will point out that their is currently another 3 people who is the same as me 3 bus drivers the two have been put in the office as relief office staff and gets paid to learn and do the job all paid while I do the same job and train I have to do it on a voluntary basis including the training and travel expense myself.
can go anywhere with this ?
kind regards
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you know why you may be denied the opportunity to apply?
Customer:

I feel that im never going to get an offer at all ben I got 10 years of documents to back this up

Ben Jones :

ok but do you know why you may be overlooked for any job opportunities within the company?

Customer:

I feel like ive done my best ben ive got a clean record good attendance never go sick kept my head down and was happy to go along with this voluntary basis of working in the office about one to two days a week not including my own normal 5 out of 7 working a week.

Customer:

How do I move forward on this ben

Ben Jones :

In terms of applying for other jobs and being turned down by them, this is unfortunately not something that you can do much about. There is no legal right to be offered or even considered the opportunity to apply for a job and the employer is free to refuse to consider your application if they wanted to.

It may often appear morally incorrect but that is all that it would be and the law does not deal with moral wrongs – as this is not an unlawful practice, then it is allowed.

The only requirement in law is that the employer’s decision is not based on discriminatory grounds. That means that it should not base its decision on factors relating to gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, etc. If its decision is based on any of these, there will be a potential case of discrimination and the affected person can potentially take this further. However, in the absence of any discriminatory reasons, the employer will rarely be acting unlawfully and will have the general power to be selective over whom it employs, even if it this generally appears to be unfair.

Nothing stops you from raising this issue with the employer, for example you have the grievance procedure available to you if you wanted to, but if that is rejected then your options are limited as the employer is not acting unlawfully.

Customer:

ok thanks ben

Ben Jones :

you are welcome

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'