13262538

Good morning. My father died in June 2013. Was recommended

Good morning. My father died in June 2013. Was recommended by Barclays bank to use Chorus Law to handle probate etc. and the house sale. I am the only child. After telling them in August 2013 where the house deeds were, it took them 6 months to acquire them. An offer for the house was received on 10th March 2014,which I accepted. Since then I have had nothing but excuses & lies from them as to why the case has not yet gone through. I was told it takes on average 2 months for a sale to go through. It is now almost 6 months. Can you suggest any action I might take. Thank you.
F.R.RIGBY
Has probate actually been obtained yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Yes ,probate has been granted. I think it was in February 2014. Thank you.

What do the Estate Agents say that the problem appears to be?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning.

Literally everyone blames everyone else. I had a look at the Chorus Law reviews website yesterday, and it seems that there are quite a few people having the same problem . There are some good reviews but review. This , to me ,says the problem lies with Chorus Law. I have made

an official complaint to Barclays bereavement service yesterday as that was who recommended Chorus. In my opinion they are preying on people at a most upsetting time & when they are most vulnerable. I did not have any experience of what to do when a relative dies, so I was , I suppose, easily led. Thanks, Frank

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, not sure if you got my reply. Everyone is blaming everyone else. I have made an official complaint to Barclays bereavement dept. as they recommended Chorus who I think are the main culprits, after reading the website Chorus reviews, there are reviews that specify exactly the problems I have had - delays ,lies , ignoring calls etc.Thanks.

Frank

I suspect what you say is correct - I have also been looking ay the various online comments.
However in terms of trying to help you through this problem it would be useful to know exactly what the Estate Agent is saying as it will help see what the options are
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi,As Chorus is handling everything, they use a company called Move with Us. who in turn use a local estate agent to market the property. The times I have been in there and explained to them what is happening & asked do they know anything, they say that the buyer is getting close to pulling out, because he has been very patient through it all. They also have phoned the buyers solicitor, and he complains about the delays. The local estate agent has never done business with Chorus before, so knows nothing about them, only to say that the delays are totally unacceptable. I hope this is of use to you.

Frank

Ok
Can they find out what is outstanding for you?
Did you get a quote from Chorus?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, as far as I know they have all the relevant information that is needed for the sale to be completed. Yes, I was given a quote for the work from chorus. Barclays said that Chorus are good but expensive, but niaively I thought it would be worth it if the job was done quickly & efficiently. The total amount payable to Chorus is £3109, and 1.75% +vat to Move With Us. As this was the first time I had experienced the loss of a loved one, I admittedly was very vulnerable at the time and just wanted closure and to be able to get on with my & my family's lives ,so agreed to this and thought because my bank had recommended them then it was ok. I am nearing 70 years of age and did not want any hassle. These fees are payable when the estate is settled, so cannot understand their logic. Thank you for your patience.

Frank

Yes they are indeed taking advantage of people who are vulnerable
Do you have any assets which would allow you to pay their bill before the house is sold?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'm sorry I don't have enough to pay that as Dad did have a little money but I paid things which included his care home fees to the council, his repayment to the DHSS for overpayment etc. All of his assets were tied up in the property.

Frank

That is a shame as the most obvious answer would be to pay for the work they have done and appoint alternative solicitors to deal with the sale
However back to the Estate Agents - what do they say is the hold up?
What do your purchasers solicitors still want?
Clarr
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi ,As far as I am aware, there is nothing outstanding at all. The most recent request was a receipt to show the ground rent was up-to-date. I took them into the local estate agent and she sent them by e-mail, on13/8/14 to the buyers solicitor. Coincidentally, on 28/8/14 , I got a call from Chorus asking for the same details. I asked them could they not get this info from the buyers solicitor. He said no. Within 30 minutes of the call, I had posted them to Chorus. I have heard nothing since. I have kept everything up-to-date ( electricity, gas etc. even down to having the lawns mown every 2 weeks) As I have said previously, I am really at a loss as to why it has taken so long for so-called experienced legal people to sort all this out. Thank you.

Frank

Can you ask the Estate Agents tomorrow to confirm the exact position?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Sorry about the delay getting back to you. I went into the estate agents this morning & things now seem to have taken a turn for the better. Fingers crossed, after a full day of chasing things up, I think things may be at the turning point. I have spoken to everyone involved & ,touch wood, it seems to be resolved. I must thank you for your help & patience . If ever I feel the need for help in anything, I would not hesitate to seek the assistance of the site again. Once again , THANKS.

Frank

You are most welcome for what little I have done to date
In terms of the way forward you need to check if there are any solicitors in the firm - it is certainly not a firm registered with the Law Society - and ask for a copy of their complaints procedure
Also make a point of phoning the Estate Agents everyday and asking for an update - and explain that it is because of your concerns about the firm
If you do have any further queries please do not hesitate to ask