75100385

I bought a car on finance on July 25th, it has 12 months warranty

Customer Question

I bought a car on finance on July 25th, it has 12 month's warranty on it. I have had to call the A.A out to it TWICE in that time. The 1st time the engine management light came on and showed water in the diesel, so I took it back to dealer to get it fixed. I collected the car after being told "it's all sorted" on Sat 30th Aug. Yesterday Sun 31st Aug, I had to call the A.A out AGAIN as the engine management light came on again. THIS time it showed 3!! DIFFERENT engine faults on the diagnostic computer, but after some "tinkering" by the A.A. man, the light went OFF!!!
Am I within my rights to cancel the finance contract and send the car back, as I now have lost all confidence in the car (AND the dealers)!?
Respectfully,
Sally.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

How much did you pay, how old and how many miles has it done?

Alex Watts :

Did you inspect it before purchase please?

Customer:

Car's price £3, 495, registered 2006 and has 86,000 miles on the clock.

Customer:

I did take it for a short test drive, but nothing was obvious at that time.

Alex Watts :

Its bad news Sally I am afraid.

Alex Watts :

The law says that buyers who purchase second hand goods should beware. Also when purchasing a car unless the cars engine is falling out case law shows that you can't cancel it.

Alex Watts :

However you can sue for breach of contract and claim compensation against both the garage and the finance company and that would be under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Alex Watts :

But sadly with a car it has to really be not working at all to even claim some sort of right.

Alex Watts :

However you do have a warranty on the car and should take steps to have the vehicle repaired under this scheme.

Alex Watts :

Further you can get a second opinion on the car and any faults to make sure they are all repaired.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry Sally if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

You're right, that's NOT the answer I was hoping for!

Alex Watts :

But do you understand the legal position as to why?

Customer:

I did forget to mention one other thing, when the A.A man took the car for a test drive after looking at it, he also noticed that one of the wheel bearings is "badly worn, and needs fixing a,s,a,p".

Alex Watts :

Ok - but is this not covered by the warranty?

Customer:

I DO understand the legal position, so I am just going to have to appeal to whatever passes for the "good nature" of the dealer!

Alex Watts :

Yes.

Customer:

I'm not sure about the warranty on the wheel bearing.

Alex Watts :

As I said, you can sue for breach of contract and claim compensation. But you can't return the car

Customer:

O.k, thanks for the advice. At least I know where I stand now.

Alex Watts :

Yes.

Alex Watts :

Does this answer the question for you today?

Customer:

Yes it does, thanks again.

Alex Watts :

Thank you. As it does if I could invite you to rate my service provided to you today before you g

Alex Watts :

* go *

Alex Watts :

If the system wont let you or you need more help please click reply

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

Sally again.

Am just wondering about the warranty situation with my car.

Does it just run from the date of purchase, or will it be renewed after the repairs are done?

Date of purchase.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thought so.

Many thanks.

Happy to help.