75100385

Hi, I was just stopped for speeding (SV77011). The police

I was just stopped for speeding (SV77011). The police car was unmarked sitting on a slip road joining the motorway. I was clocked doing 93mph. I queried this and refused to sign ticket on basis I did not agree. I have been asked to produce my documents etc and given 3 points + £100 fine.
He would not show me a calibration cert, just the sticker on the gun (which I have photos of) He would not let me take down his officer number and told me it is illegal to take photos of an armed officer (in a plain car????) he then showed me his taser as proof....He told me if I continue to ask questions "we can do this the hard way" at which point I refused to speak at all.
The roads were full of works traffic (9am although he stated 9.15am which is wrong).
Should I fight this and what would be my chances of winnning?
Mark
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

You can of course fight it but if they produce the calibration certificate then you are stuck

Alex Watts :

People try this method all the time.

Alex Watts :

In reality the cameras are Home Office approved, they are checked in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations and the officers have training.

Alex Watts :

Courts hear all these excuses too often and convict generally.

Alex Watts :

As for the time if it was 9am or 9.15am then this can be questioned under cross examination but in any event the Police are able to amend any summons to reflect a correct time and the Court just have to be satisfied that you were in the area at about the time and that it was your car and you.

Alex Watts :

You are not saying you were not there as you had the ticket and refused to sign.

Alex Watts :

Therefore what you should do is take the points and run.

Alex Watts :

If you go to Court you are likely to get if convicted, 4-6 points and costs of around £300

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** honest I expected that answer but you read all these stories online and wonder if there maybe something in it. The issue i have now is my license photo is out of date.. I only noticed this about a month ago and tried to update online however I had not received a letter and was unable to. Same problem in the post office. I have now applied for a passport which I am waiting for and had intended to update online once the passport has been recieved. Will they accept this or am I in for more grief?

Alex Watts :

It may be an issue but you can't get points for an expired licence where you would have been entitled to one. it would be a small fine only.

Customer:

brilliant, that i can deal with. Thanks for your help :)

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer:

no that's all thank you.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Customer:

unless you know anything about Vodafone contracts cancellation in mid term due to price increase of above 105?

Customer:

10%

Customer:

I exercised my right to cancel due to 12% price increase, they say I cant as they do not think I will go over my minutes etc