seanferguson13
seanferguson13, Solicitor
Experience:  3 year qualified solicitor with expertise in UK taxation.
77909803

Can a discretionary trust held with barclays be chanaged by

Can a discretionary trust held with barclays be chanaged by a beneficiary. I am the beneficiary and there is only one other who is a charity,who is only allowed £500 in any one year. The lady who was my friend died in 2011
The letter of wishes said that any remaining moneys after the £500 is paid should me for myself.
Expert:  seanferguson13 replied 3 years ago.
seanferguson13 : Hi there
seanferguson13 : Trustees must exercise discretion and need not follow a letter of wishes which is not binding on the trustees. However, trustees do have a fiduciary duty towards beneficiaries so they should consider all the beneficiaries. A beneficiary of a trust cannot amend or vary the trust and would have to seek a remedy through the courts if he or she thinks the trustee is in breach of their duties. I would suggest talking to the trustees as a first step.
seanferguson13 : Hope this helps