Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My late mother left the sum of £10,000 between 3 named siblings.

My late mother left the sum of £10,000 between 3 named siblings. However one of the siblings passed away before my mother. Does their share of the monies revert back to the estate?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
I can confirm that the legacy fails and reverts back to the Estate UNLESS there is a provision the Will stating that the £10,000 pass to a third party in the event of the beneficiary dying before your Mother.
So,if the clause in the Will merely states " I leave £10,000 to XYZ" then the legacy fails to the sibling who died before your Mother.
If the Will states "I leave £10,000 to X or if he has dies before me then to A", then the £10,000 passes to A if X had died before your Mother.
I hope this assists and answers your question.
Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much

No worries!

If you are happy with my Answer, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards

AL