Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My late mother left the sum of £10,000 between 3 named siblings.

My late mother left the sum of £10,000 between 3 named siblings. However one of the siblings passed away before my mother. Does their share of the monies revert back to the estate?
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
I can confirm that the legacy fails and reverts back to the Estate UNLESS there is a provision the Will stating that the £10,000 pass to a third party in the event of the beneficiary dying before your Mother.
So,if the clause in the Will merely states " I leave £10,000 to XYZ" then the legacy fails to the sibling who died before your Mother.
If the Will states "I leave £10,000 to X or if he has dies before me then to A", then the £10,000 passes to A if X had died before your Mother.
I hope this assists and answers your question.
Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much

No worries!

If you are happy with my Answer, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards

AL