13262538

my estranged wife has sent me a letter asking me to agree to

my estranged wife has sent me a letter asking me to agree to a divorce after two year separation, what do I do now?
Are you willing to agree?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I agree, what else would you like to know?
In that case all you need to do is write back and say that yes you do agree since there can be no claim for costs (this is to remind her that with that ground she cannot do so)
You can then simply wait for the paperwork to arrive and when it does check that there is no claim for costs and then complete the form that will be attached - and send it back to the court
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will she stikk be able to claim money from me, as I have just lost both parents and will probably be thinking there may be some money, though there is not. Plus she wants me to cover half the cost of the divorce.

Also I am giving her £50 p/w for our son (who I don't see).

How much to you earn and what assets are there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I earn about £12,000 p.a
The only asset is their house, but that is being rented out until my two brothers decide when to sell it, and the proceeds will be split between us all
How much is the property worth and when did you lose your parents?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My dad passed on Mother's Day this year and my mum two months later, I'm afraid I have not had the property valued as yet, but would say it probably worth in the region of £160,000
I am sorry for your losses
What is your ex's housing position?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your condolences, as far as I'm aware she is in rented but also on benefits so presume the local council pay most of her rent, I am also in rented and get no help at all with any of my bills
usually the court would not force you to share an Inheritance especially one received so long after your separation, but the fact that your ex is in rented accommodation and there is a small child involved means that there is indeed a risk that you will have to pay her a lump sum.
It will not necessarily be half of your inheritance - but a lump sum of £10,000 or so is certainly possible.
In many ways the sooner that you divorce the better