UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Can registrars impose restrictions during a wedding ceremony

Can registrars impose restrictions during a wedding ceremony specifically can they ban the use of flash photography, can they ban photography altogether if the answer is yes do they have a legal right to stop a ceremony if anyone breaks this rule.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
There is nothing in marriage legislation that refers to photography so this is a matter of policy rather than law.
A registrar may refuse to witness the solemnisation of the marriage in the circumstances described but that may give rise to complaints against the registrar later on.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If this is policy and not law would I be correct in saying that it cannot be enforced because there is no legislation to back it up and make the use of photography and/or flash illegal. I need a really accurate answer because I intend challenging local registrars regarding this after an incident yesterday.

Can you plese confirm the above asap.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cant rate your service until I get an answer to my follow up question at the moment your initial reply is too ambiguous I need to know exactly where I stand legally because this could be a hornets nest I plan on disturbing

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am getting requests to rate your service I still havent had an answer to my follow up question I require this asap. At the moment I am going to rate the service as poor due to the lack of activity on your part.

Hello Grev,

Apologies, I was offline and have only just seen your follow up queries.

Yes, I would agree with you that it is a policy decision for the particular registrar concerned and I am not aware of any legislation which bans photography and/or flash photography in registries.

Hope this helps