75100385

I am trying to keep my question simple and to the facts.

Customer Question

I am trying to keep my question simple and to the facts. In 2011 I was contacted by Claims Advisory Group who asked if I felt was was mis-sold PPI. I gave them 2 companies who I felt did. One being Natwest Bank. In 2009 when the recession took it's toll I was with out work for several months, and contacted Natwest to say I was in financial difficulty and could not pay the minimum amount and that I understood I was covered by PPI. At the time I was paying around £78 for PPI on top of my monthly payment. I informed them of my status and I got a reply that I was not infact covered because I was self employed. I took the credit card out with Natwest I believe in the 80's and not sure of the exact date. It was a while after that the mis-selling issue around PPI came to light in the news. I contacted the bank again and inquired about PPI in my card, I did receive a letter stating that they had looked back and I did not have the right to claim. One aspect of which they then were using very aggressive letters and phone calls to get me to settle the credit amount in full. They refused to accept my offer which I could afford at the time to pay the amount owed. They threatened me with court action and to enter my house and to take items to the value of the dept and almost was saying tough. I paid the dept by borrowing monies from my mother and taking out monies from my pension. In the 3 years that the Claims Advisory Group took my case on, they informed me that they had contacted the Financial Ombudsman as they felt I had a case, because Natwest refused to open the case as I had already contacted them back in 2009 and the case was closed. The reason I am now seeking your advice/help is a very small ray of hope as on Friday last there was a small article in the Evening Standard again about the mis-selling of PPI and that the banks should reopen cases that had been closed as indicated by the city watchdog. I have already contacted the Claims Advisory Group and they can not make a new claim but informed me to contact the financial Ombudsman. Yours Sincerely ***** ***** XXXXXXXX

Alex Watts :

Hello Steve my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Did you ever go to the Financial Ombudsman please?

Customer:

Hi Alex

Customer:

My apologies for any late reply I have just received your message in my email inbox. In answer to your question no I have not yet contacted the Financial Ombudsman yet asI wanted to know if there could possibly be any ray of hope that I in fact stand some chance of mis-sold PPI.

Customer:

Is it more appropriate that I contact the Financial Ombudsman in regard to PPi and the Natwest bank.

Alex Watts :

I would go to the Financial Ombudsman after complaining to Natwest

Alex Watts :

If Natwest dont want to know then go to the Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

They offer a free service and can investigate any PPI complaint.

Alex Watts :

Their website is: www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

Alex Watts :

But contact Natwest complaints first at:

Alex Watts :

PPI Customer Concerns Team
Royal Bank of Scotland Group,
5th Floor,
Hardman Boulevard,
Manchester,
M3 3AQ

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Hi Alex

Customer:

Just a very short question. I do not have a great deal of faith in the banking system especially in the way I was treated back in 2009.

Customer:

I have doubts whether contacting the complaints dept of a bank about this issue is going to be positive, unless I have to go through the motions/correct channels. Surely they will only review the conversation that happened in 2009 and again say there is no case for them to own up and say yes they indeed did mis-sell me PPI. Because as I stated Claims Advisory Group took my case and although I felt I was also lied too by them, they could not make the bank look into the PPI mis-selling, and I'm sure they would have their own legal experts. And it took 3 years until I knew that outcome.

Alex Watts :

Sadly you can't go to the Ombudsman until you have complained to Natwest, this is what they would expect.

Alex Watts :

You could try and take it to Court, but clearly that would cost you.

Alex Watts :

So its better to try and exhaust all free options before you do that.

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

Hi Alex Thank you for your time and patience. I will construct a letter and send it to the address you have given me.

Alex Watts :

Thank you, ***** ***** anything else I can help with today? If not, might I invite you to rate my answer.

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex

I did leave a rating for you, and I did send a letter to RBS. But have not heard anything back.

I'm keeping an open mind but just don't trust them.

Thank you for contacting me in this matter, when I do receive a reply I shall keep you informed as to their findings.

Kindest regards Steve Duwensee