75100385

My two sons (in the UK) are constantly harassed by a woman

Customer Question

My two sons (in the UK) are constantly harassed by a woman in the US. A former girl friend of one of them.
She has been fined in this country and issued with a Restraint Oder by the courts, and cannot enter the UK for fear of arrest, but continues this torrent of hate from New York and other places.
We have been working with Met Police Leicester Police NYPD and Interpol..... all a waste of time due to juristictional beaurocracy
One of my sons is receiving hate mail on a daily basis and constant barrage of phone calls at work. The other is currently under councelling having been accused of rape and having these allegations send to anyone he is in contact with.
This harassment includes fake Facebook accounts being create to lure their friends to give up details so they too can be abused in addition to demands for money.
Nobody appears to be capable of taking this on and getting a result.
I will look forward to your comment and advise.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

When you say harassed, do you mean by email, letters or calls please?

JACUSTOMER-kksfqsvs- :

JACUSTOMER-kksfqsvs- :

By email to my sons and their freinds and family and by telephone to my eldest sons place of work

Alex Watts :

Ok - is there any reason her email can't be blocked?

JACUSTOMER-kksfqsvs- :

My son has changed his email address on a number of occassions

JACUSTOMER-kksfqsvs- :

He has changed his phone number of a number of occassions

JACUSTOMER-kksfqsvs- :

she finds them and it starts again

JACUSTOMER-kksfqsvs- :

My younger son plays in a band when they arrange a gig it is posted on the band website

JACUSTOMER-kksfqsvs- :

she then finds the venue and mails the owner telling them that Police action is being taken against him for rape and asking them to cancel the gig, my son has to pre empt this by e mailing the venue first, She creates fake facebook accounts and lures thier freinds into thinking it is one of my sons and then getting hold of contact details... it is endless

Alex Watts :

Ok - I can advise on UK law but I can't advise on USA law as a UK lawyer.

Alex Watts :

You have an injunction over here which is fine.

Alex Watts :

I would also be minded to seek to vary the UK injunction to include a prohibition on harassment

Alex Watts :

They can do this under protection from harassment act 1997

Alex Watts :

The law states:

Alex Watts :

(1)A person must not pursue a course of conduct—

(a)which amounts to harassment of another, and

(b)which he knows or ought to know amounts to harassment of the other.

Alex Watts :

Once you get an injunction here that is meant to prevent her from harassing.

Alex Watts :

However of course the problem is enforcement.

Alex Watts :

Once you have the UK order you will probably need to also issue proceedings in the USA.

Alex Watts :

You can then seek the equivalent of the UK order in the USA on the back of the UK order

Alex Watts :

A court is more likely to grant it once they see there is an order in the UK

Alex Watts :

Once you have a USA order you also have a UK order and then enforcement action can be taken

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-kksfqsvs- :

How do we get a USA orderr

JACUSTOMER-kksfqsvs- :

We have been given access to a US attorney by the NYPD but they want a $5,000 (five thousand dollar) retainer just to look at the case,obviously this is a complete no go goer

Alex Watts :

Sadly I am a UK lawyer so I really don't know the process over there.

Alex Watts :

But I think it is just a case of doing a Google search

Alex Watts :

Of course you don't need to go to lawyers in NY itself as they will be VERY expensive.

Alex Watts :

You could get one in New Jersey etc

Alex Watts :

There is a list here:

Alex Watts :

https://njcourts.judiciary.state.nj.us/web15z/AttyPAWeb/pages/home.faces

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

JACUSTOMER-kksfqsvs- :

OK I'll give it a go. How about varying the Restraint order surely the Met Police would have advised this already how do we get this going?

Alex Watts :

For that you need to make an application to the Court.

Alex Watts :

The Court will then list the matter and consider whether to vary it

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

JACUSTOMER-kksfqsvs- :

It's a start, we'll take it up with the Met Police and see what happens, this long and sorry saga has shown me not to be too optimistic though,Thanks Alex

Alex Watts :

Indeed. Can I help with anything further please?

Alex Watts :

Good luck with this.