12826847

My son has just received a work visa for the USA which he has

My son has just received a work visa for the USA which he has been working long and hard for. He accidently smashed some glass in a public house door and apologised and has offered to pay for the damage. The publican is now harrassing my son saying that he can go to the police and have him charged for the damage so that he will not be able to travel and work in the USA.
What rights does my son have to avoid this as he has offered to pay for the damage although the amount the publican is asking for is extortionate?
He can report it to the police but he has to prove that the damage was either intentional or reckless rather than just an accident. If its an accident then that is not a criminal damage so the police will not be interested.
Of course, he may lie and say that it was deliberate. People do that sometimes. You cannot stop him doing that. There are no magic wands really. You just have to risk manage.
There isn't much more than you can do though than offer to pay a reasonable amount. The only way to prevent him doing this altogether is to pay the sum that he is asking. If that is an unreasonable amount then I can well understand why you would not want to.
If he is cautioned or convicted for criminal damage that may be an issue for his visa I'm afraid.