13262538

Hi, I am in a process of financial settlement related to divorce.

Hi, I am in a process of financial settlement related to divorce. I have moved out of joint-owned property back in September 2012. My ex has agreed that he will settle what he owes me by March 2013. He hasn't done anything since. We have now put the property on the market and he is asking me to pay half the mortgage since I moved out. My argument is that I am prepared to pay for the duration since I moved out until the date he was meant to buy me out. Am I correct in thinking that?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets are there and what income do you each have?
Are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, the house is worth £450k and there is around £170k still outstanding currently. No children involved, everything else is split, it is just the house that is oustanding

Is it a repayment or an interest only mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hiya, it is repayment

How much was paid off the capital last year - do you know?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since I moved out I think around £15k was paid off. The agreement we had in place was that i will be bought out or we will sell the property by March 2013. Nothing happened since then and I am still waiting for the flat settlement which costs me £10,800 in rent. I am obviously losing on the chance to buy my own property and wasting money on rent instead. My ex wants to charge me for half of the mortgage paid off, does he have the right to do so?

So far as the mortgage company is concerned then of course you remain liable for the mortgage HOWEVER since your ex is living there and you are not it is reasonable for you to say that paying your half of the mortgage represents "occupational rent" for your share of the property.
However it is reasonable that you pay towards any actual reduction in the mortgage capital that has occurred during that time - but only towards that not any of the interest - and even that is arguable given the long delay for his benefit
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does it make any difference to the above if my ex two months after I left rented a room and the tenant is still there contributing towards the mortgage?

Yes that does make your position even stronger and on that basis there is no reason to offer any payment at all.