12826847

I have been renting a flat from my father for 8 years. last

Customer Question

I have been renting a flat from my father for 8 years. last month I was made reduntant and when I signed on and claimed housing benefit,i was told I am not entitled to any because flat is owned by my father.i am so stressed

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I need advice please,am I entitled to housing benefit in my flat that I pay rent to my father

Not necessarily.

They will usually take that view with landlords who are related to their tenants.

You can ask them to reconsider. You need to satisfy them that this is a genuine tenancy agreement. You can submit evidence of a long standing history of payments and also they will probably want a statutory declaration from him. Its not a particularly quick option but it is your only option here.

No problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no,ok thanks

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/