Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

Hi,My neighbour wants to remove a stone wall and hedge

My neighbour wants to remove a stone wall and hedge on our boundary, we live on a hill and this is a retaining wall dividing the gardens, his garden is approx. 3 or 4 feet higher than mine. I don't mind the hedge going, but I want to leave the wall in place, as I am worried we may generate landslide. The boundary in question is on my right hand side as I stand with my back to the house. I was under the impression that the right hand boundary belonged to that property.
What are the legalities here please, does he have the right to remove it without my permission?
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 3 years ago.
The title deeds to your property should show who owns the boundary and you can obtain a copy of these through a local solicitor for a reasonable fee. If the boundary is yours then it cannot be removed without your permission. If the boundary is his then that is not necessarily the end of the matter. If he removes the wall and there is a landslide then he would be liable to you for any damage caused.
I hope this helps. If there are any further points please reply
Best wishes
Michael