Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Over the past two years (possibly) I have been getting mail

Over the past two years (possibly) I have been getting mail from AA Insurance delivered to my address in the name of Jackie McSweeny. I have lived here for 37 years and Mr McSweeny definitely hasn't. I have tried phoning AA, returning mail "unknown at this address,"
AA have now issued a default notice warning of potential action to recover their debt of £9.65.
I do not want to risk having my address blacklisted or bailiffs knocking on the door.
What is your advice?
ps My wife and I need to come in to review our wills held by yourselves.
Colin and ***** *****, Greyridge Cottage, Priestwood Road Meopham, DA13 0DA
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Your address does not affect your credit rating, all credit ratings/records are personal to your name. The fact that some stranger is in default and is using your address for correspondence will not blacklist that address or you.
What I would suggest you do is write to the AA as follows:
1. State there is categorically no one by that name living at the address;
2. The continued letters chasing for money are not related to you;
3. Say that it is a criminal offence to harass someone for money they do not owe at their home under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970;
4. Say if they do not stop chasing you and up date their records, you will make a complaint to trading standards - www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the detail, I will write as instructed and copy toTrading Standards as this has gone on far too long to let them off.

Colin

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
I would suggest you make a complaint to trading standards separately, if they still do not comply and acknowledge that they have updated records.
A complaint to Trading Standards can be time consuming so I would only do it as a last resort if the AA still do not comply after this last request.
AJ