75100385

hi there, I recently purchased a house only to find out from

hi there,
I recently purchased a house only to find out from the neighbours that my immediate neighbour was recently raided for selling drugs and guns and many complaints have been made against her over the last few years including a complaint from my seller earlier this year to the council...speculation in the road is that said neighbour has been evicted pending trial but i was not made aware of any issues even though i asked what the neighbours were like. I feel like i've been taken advantage of as had i known the situation I would have made a much more informed decision and certainly would not have paid the asking price. Do I have no recourse whatsoever?
thank you
Maria
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know if on the sellers questionnaire were any neighbour disputes? Do you know if your seller had a dispute with these people please?

Customer:

Hi Alex,

Customer:

the seller answered "no" to the section on disputes and complains and Notices and proposals

Alex Watts :

Do you know whether the neighbour had raised any dispute or complaint with those parties causing problems?

Customer:

I don't know, I'm trying to find things out from the council but they are not being very helpful.

Alex Watts :

It all hinges really on whether or not he complained or raised a dispute.

Alex Watts :

If he answered no and it turns out he had a dispute or made a complaint then you have a claim for breach of contract

Alex Watts :

If he answered no and did not raise a dispute or complain to the Council then you have no claim

Alex Watts :

Just because somewhere has drug dealers etc then that does not automatically mean it needs to be disclosed.

Alex Watts :

It is only where the vendor actually makes a complaint or a dispute with the persons invovled.

Alex Watts :

This includes Police reports etc

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

thank you Alex, I've just got through to the council and they've advised me write to them and ask for the info under the Freedom of Information Act so that will now be my next step though I'm not holding my breath that they will be particularly helpful. It seems ludicrous to me that people can hold back such important information; I've only had the keys a month, been living there for 2 weeks and it's affecting my health as I live on my own and occasionally my e

Alex Watts :

Of course - poor you.

Alex Watts :

It really will depend on the FOI request. It may worth enquiring with the Police as well

Alex Watts :

Is there anything else I can help with?

Customer:

thank you Alex, have a good day

Alex Watts :

And you. Please take a moment to rate my answer before you go - it should be the button at the bottom of the page

Customer:

Yes, I think the police will be my next port of call. I don't want personal details at the end of the day just a "yes" or a "no" so I can decide where I go from here. If I do get the information and the seller did put a complaint in, do you think I will have some recourse? And if so, what form of recourse do I have? Sorry to be a pain but i want to be informed.

Alex Watts :

Yes but it would just be for breach of contract - so only compensation

Customer:

do you know what would the compensation be based on?

Alex Watts :

Breach of contract, because he represented that there was not a dispute or complaint when there was.

Alex Watts :

Does this help?

Customer:

is there a set rate of compensation for Breach of contract or is it not that straight forward...?

Alex Watts :

No - it all depends on what loss you have suffered and largely depends on the Judge you get on the day.

Alex Watts :

Litigation is never certain]

Customer:

ok thank you. Have a good weekend Alex

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience