75100385

I have received a nip in the post and the date of issue is

I have received a nip in the post and the date of issue is 02 September and date of offence 30 July, would the issue date change if a previous nip was posted to another address?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know whether the address the DVLA had was your old one?

Customer: No it was possibly the previous owner? But I do not know if there was a previous nip sent?
Alex Watts :

Did you notify the DVLA of the date of change? If so when was that? When did you purchase the vehicle?

Customer: I have had the vehicle for three years
Customer: I don't have the v5 in my name
Alex Watts :

Or address?

Customer: If there was an earlier nip sent. To different address, and I was identified as new keeper, and a new nip was posted to me, would the date if the nip be the same as the original? Because I have a letter today and the offence was end if July and nip date 3 September. Therefore time barring the procedure?
Alex Watts :

As long as the original NIP was done within 14 days that is all that matters.

Alex Watts :

Therefore if the original NIP was sent to a different address and you were identified as the driver then it is valid as long as it is 14 days.

Alex Watts :

So if there was an NIP originally within 14 days then yes it is in time.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer: I don't know if there was a previous nip, that's why I'm seeking advice the document sent to me states quite clearly that the date of. Issue is 3rd September and date of offence 30th july
Alex Watts :

You should write and ask.

Alex Watts :

If there was a previous NIP ask for a copy

Alex Watts :

If there was not, then it is out of time

Alex Watts :

It must be served within 14 days

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer: But surely if there was an original nip then the date of issue woul carry forward to my letter ?
Alex Watts :

You mean they would send you a copy - not necessarily.

Alex Watts :

If you have been nominated you would not get a copy of the original one

Alex Watts :

Your NIP is the date it was issued to you

Customer: I don't know if there was another nip it is not stated on the letter
Customer: Do I just return the. NIP sitting that according to my letter and info therein, that the procedure is time barred?
Customer: *stating
Alex Watts :

Write and ask for confirmation as to whether it was the ONLY Nip as you believe it is time barred unless they can provide another one

Customer: Do you not know if there was an original, that the date of issue would then be confirmed on my letter?
Alex Watts :

I can't tell if there was an original as this is a question and answer site

Alex Watts :

Only the ticket until would know this

Alex Watts :

Which is why you should write saying its time barred and see if there is another NIP nominating you.

Customer: Yeah But my question is, the date of issue on MY LETTER us 30 days after offence.
Alex Watts :

Yes.

Customer: Ok
Alex Watts :

But if the original NIP (if there was one) was within 14 days then YOURS is in time

Customer: Yes? What
Alex Watts :

Its all about when the FIRST one was issued.

Alex Watts :

Which is why you need to write and say yours is out of time and can you have sight of any other NIP if it exists.

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?

Customer: I'm clear on that, BUT surely I would have been notified in my latter if there was a previous? That's my question I was wanting answered
Alex Watts :

No

Alex Watts :

Not necessarily.

Alex Watts :

You may have just been nominated.

Alex Watts :

But you are not notified that this is the case.

Customer: Ok so I'm no clearer then.
Customer: thanks anyway
Alex Watts :

Which is why you need to write and ask.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you today please?

Alex Watts :

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience