12826847

Dear Sir or Madam I have a question for additional charges

Customer Question

Dear Sir or Madam
I have a question for additional charges the solicitor of my landlord is making without having given me prior notice of this.
I am a shop keeper and the property is owned by “A”. “B” is the main lease holder who is subleasing it to me “C”.
The Owner “A” insisted that a sublease needed to be drawn up. All the costs of 3 solicitors involved were going to be paid by me “C”.
These costs have been paid by me “C” to “A, B and my own solicitors”. The amount paid to solicitor “A” was £2000.
Since little needed to be changed I decided to draw up the document myself and had it signed by the leaseholder “B”.
Owner “A” was outraged and rejected it outright.
We then had a sublease drawn-up which took ages to materialise, like 18months.
During these 18 months, I “C”, have paid building insurance, repair costs and monthly rent directly to the Landlord “A”.
The solicitors of landlord “A” now insist on an additional amount in the region of £2000, before they are willing to issue the sublease. Making the cost double!
This amount was never agreed, and it is the first time I heard of it.
I am required to pay this, what are my rights are the solicitors working lawfully and can just willy-nilly charge a client retrospectively without previous notification of the additional fees?
I look forward to hearing from you.
With kind regards
Robert Donkers
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is AJ and I will assist you.

There are two issues:

1. Have the solicitors properly provided you with a quote for the costs? Also are the costs payable under a contractual terms or have you deposited monies with them on account of the costs?

2. Do you have an agreement with B? If so it is implied that B had sufficient title to lease the property to you and had the landlord's consent? Did B not have the landlord's consent?

AJ