75100385

UK based. My landlord doesnt live in the property (semi-detached)

UK based. My landlord doesn't live in the property (semi-detached) but says she or family can come to the garage (external entrance) that is not for tenant use anytime they like effectively without letting tenants know. She has now put a padlock on the outside of the garage door, I had been using the garage as an exit from the back garden where I live in an annexe flat (self contained and separate from the main house) rather than going through the main house (I don't have a key to the garage so only used it as an exit). With padlock on the outside I can no longer exit. I raised concerns about safety e.g. how do I escape if there is a fire and I cannot go through the house and some other reasons why I use the garage to go out of etc e.g. not having to take muddy bike through the house, not disturb person in front room. But she has said if I don't like it give notice and leave. What are your thoughts on this, individual rooms in the house and annexe flat are rented out separately to people, the landlady does not actually live in the house. It;s highly likely I will move on but I want to know what rights we have and whether the landlady is simply being bullish and may not be fully aware/is blatantly disregarding the rights of the tenants.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Does your tenancy agreement exclude the garage please?

Customer:

I would have to look back at the actual terms and conditions of my contract, but there is a note on the door that it is not for tenant use, though I have been living there since Dec2012 and the padlock was only put on sometime last night.

Customer:

I am concerned that if there is a fire, my fire exit is now blocked.

Alex Watts :

Check the tenancy agreement please to see what it says and whether it specifically excludes the garage and let me know

Customer:

It should be at home somewhere, I don't have it with me, though will check through me emails.

Customer:

But does she not have some responsibility to provide a safe exit for me in the event of a fire etc

Alex Watts :

That is fine - let me know when you have it, no rush

Customer:

Further to above, we have to maintain the garden to the house, she says we can use tools that are in the garage!!! Even though she says she is now making it crystal clear that we cannot go through, enter, use the garage. So we can use the garage or we can't????? Inconsistencies exist in regards ***** ***** running of the household irrespective of the tenancy agreement. Some people in the house/previous tenants never signed an agreement for their rooms either though this doesn't directly relate to my case.

Alex Watts :

Yes - the garage part is key though

Customer: I haven't been able to find my tenancy agreement so cannot really provide a rate at this stage
Alex Watts :

Is it possible to ask the Landlord for a copy?