75100385

My parcel was collected from me in Hove to go to Hastings.

Customer Question

My parcel was collected from me in Hove to go to Hastings. When it arrived it was broken as they could here the glass rattling around inside. She refused to take delivery.
It was returned to Depot. I asked for it to be delivered back to me.They are now saying
it hs been delivered. This is not so as the recipient was out all day they say it was delivered. They are now saying that I should make a claim for loss. However they say I can only claim £20.00 as I didn't insure it. What should I do It is a painting and worth about £500.00 Also loads of time wasted waiting in and talking on line to them ***** *****ham

Alex Watts :

Hello Sarah my name is Alex and I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know why you did not insure it please, given the value was £500?

JACUSTOMER-dnhyd1fw- :

I was assured that if it was packed properly and labeled then it would

JACUSTOMER-dnhyd1fw- :

perfectly safe. The insurence was far too much.

Alex Watts :

Ok - do you have home insurance?

JACUSTOMER-dnhyd1fw- :

No

Alex Watts :

Its bad news I am sorry to say

Alex Watts :

The conditions of carriage which you agree to when you send a parcel limit their liability for claims unless you take out insurance.

Alex Watts :

As you did not take out insurance they do not have to pay you

Alex Watts :

You had a choice whether to insure and you decided not to

Alex Watts :

The only other option would be to go to Court as a small claim

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

Alex Watts :

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court

Alex Watts :

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce

Alex Watts :

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-dnhyd1fw- :

Surely they have a duty of care. Are you saying that I could send in a claim for the £500.00 even though I didnt insure it.

Alex Watts :

They do have a duty, but their terms make it clear, you have to insure over £20.00 value, otherwise no one would take it out

Alex Watts :

You could make a claim and they may settle before Court

JACUSTOMER-dnhyd1fw- :

I will try that thankyou

JACUSTOMER-dnhyd1fw- :

I am finding it difficult to find an address

Alex Watts :

PARCELFORCE LIMITED
100 VICTORIA EMBANKMENT
LONDON
EC4Y 0HQ

JACUSTOMER-dnhyd1fw- :

It is parcel2go

Alex Watts :

PARCEL2GO.COM LIMITED
THE CUBE
COE STREET
BOLTON
LANCASHIRE
BL3 6BU

JACUSTOMER-dnhyd1fw- :

Thank you very much

Alex Watts :

If I could ask you to rate before you go today, its the button a the bottom of the page. Thanks

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

JACUSTOMER-dnhyd1fw- :

Can you please tell me if this is worth doing or a waste of time.

JACUSTOMER-dnhyd1fw- :

Various things have happened since you first gave me information. The painting turned up mysteriously in the hall of the next flat. To repair it it will cost £92.00. So now the costs are £148.00 So the claim would be for £148.00

Alex Watts : I would try claiming the £148. It may cost them more to defend than pay out.
Alex Watts : Does that help?