Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

IF I RECEIVE AN OFFER OFa CONSUMER SERVICE BY POST - IF THE

IF I RECEIVE AN OFFER OFa CONSUMER SERVICE BY POST - IF THE ENVELOPE IS OPENED, IS THAT PART OF A CONTRACT ? - HAVE i ENTERED INTO IT BY OPENING THE MAIL ?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
You cannot enter into a contract just by opening an envelope - silence does not equate to acceptance under principles of contractual construction.
You have to either start using the service or actually accept the contract verbally or in writing.
Can you provide me with any further information?
AJ
P.S I have to step away from my computer briefly so please do not be concerned if you do not hear from me until about 2pm.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Alex - thank you for reply

This concerns the Water Company who are introducing new and separate 'Water Rates' in Ireland. I, and a few million others, object to paying AGAIN for a service which was previously built into the general tax system.

The charge comes on line in October 31st.

I don't want to engage with them at all - hence my question.

There are various other questions - but this was my particular one.

Patrick