31090051

hi, myself and sisters and brother have now inherited 2 trust

hi, myself and sisters and brother have now inherited 2 trust funds that are liable to inheritance tax, the solicitors firm dealing with this have not done so and we are now liable for interest or penalties from inland revenue, are we liable for this and also can we report the firm dealing with this?
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
If the solicitors were responsible for dealing with the inheritance tax and didn't do so as a result of which the penalties have arisen, then you would be justified in telling them they will have to meet the penalty charges and interest.
They have also on the face of it provided an inadequate professional service and you can complain to the Scottish Legal Complaints Commissioner who has the power to make an award of compensation under the legislation.
See www.scottishlegalcomplaints.com
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.