12826847

the engine on my van packed up i left it in my garage 11 months

the engine on my van packed up i left it in my garage 11 months tax and mot still on it and purchased a new van. got a letter from dvla saying because i had transfered my insurance i had to sorn it and pay a fine of £50 .paid fine ,sent tax disc and sort letter to them 3-4 months ago.have now recieved a court summons for having no insurance on off road vehichle.tried to sorn on line and on computurised phone number and it does not recognise my log book or reg number impossible to talk to them on the phone they just give you oher numbers to ring
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well jo i don,t know what to do next ,its impossible to communicate with these people i,ve done what they have asked and i,ve ended up getting a court summons.do i go to court.from what i can see i have not commited an offence

Well, did you SORN the van?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i sent them the tax disc back and a sorn form 2-3 months ago and the next response i got was this court summons .i have tried to sorn it on line and on their automated phone service and neither will recognise my log book number,registration number,or sorn reference number.the van is off the road undriveable and parked in a private garage

It doesn't matter whether its off road any more I'm afraid.
When did the insurance run out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i transfered the insurance on to my new van i jan 2014

Ok.
So there would have been around five months uninsured?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

I'm afraid that you have committed an offence.
You have 14 days to Sorn a vehicle. Whichever way you look at this you did not unfortunately.
You did keep it off road. However, the insurance ran out and you are under an obligation to keep vehicles continuously insured unless you SORN them. It used to be possible to avoid this by keeping vehicles off the road but that changed some time ago.
You could attend court and asked the prosecutor to consider the public interest of the prosecution against you since you did try to Sorn the vehicle. Sometimes they will discontinue prosecutions on that basis. You need to show that you have always kept vehicles insured in the past and raise some evidence that it was off road.
However, if they dig their heels in and refuse then I am afraid you would have to plead.