Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I was diagnosed with a terminal illness two and half years

I was diagnosed with a terminal illness two and half years ago and had to have a liver transplant last December 2013. I neally died twice throughout the operation. I am now recovering well and unable to work due the recover which is taking a lot longer that I hoped for.
In the meantime i still my own a house which was rented until the tenants moved out on the 1st September 2013 paying no rent, damaged to the property and theft. The house is empty and still unoccupied after one year.
I am currently claiming Disability Allowance and ESA benefits. Out from my benefits I have had to pay the mortgage to keep the house payments up not to loose the property.
It is possible I could back the interest paid back on my mortgage (interest only) through DWP and I do go about doing this?
Many Thanks
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
What is the property worth? How much mortgage is outstanding? How much do you pay monthly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The property is £159,950. I have an outstanding on a tracker mortgage for £159,503. I took out 30 years mortgage and paid into 8 years on the contract.. My mortgage is £539.13 per month.

Regards,

Elizabeth

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
You are entitled to apply for Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) for a mortgage of up to £200,000 if you receive income based ESA. The standard interest rate used to calculate SMI is currently 3.63%. You have to apply at your local Job Centre and I believe the payments are for future interest not past interest. You may find this website helpful: https://www.gov.uk/support-for-mortgage-interest/overview