75100385

I have signed a vacation club contract in mexico and have paid

I have signed a vacation club contract in mexico and have paid a large deposit. Now i have researched the company EL CID it seems many people are not happy and the points scheme does not seem to cover the cost of their holidays and flights etc as promised by salesman. Do I have to honour a contract signed in mexico ? Does the uk law give me any extra time to cancel as it was not explained to me at the time that i had 5 days after signing in mexico?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know which country the contract says its jurisdiction is in please?
Customer:

It appears to be mexico

Alex Watts : Have you paid anything please?
Customer:

paid about 10,000 usd

Alex Watts :

Ok - in reality you have lost that. UK law on timeshare does not apply to Mexican contracts. I can assist you with UK law but not Mexican

Alex Watts :

I don't know whether Mexican law gives you any protection, you may have cooling off but it is unlikely.

Alex Watts :

However in UK law you do have a cooling off period.

Alex Watts :

But if you refuse to pay then they can only take proceedings against you in Mexico

Alex Watts :

Any Mexican Judgment is NOT valid or can not be enforced in the UK

Alex Watts :

They can't issue proceedings in the UK as the contract is governed by Mexican law.

Alex Watts :

But in reality if you signed a contract and assuming you have no cooling off period there, you have probably lost the money.

Alex Watts :

I realise this may not be the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

After reading so many bad reviews I am considering cutting my losses as another substantial payment is due tomorrow so I have time to cancel my card. Does this mean if I was to visit mexico again it could be a problem.

Alex Watts :

I doubt it as that is a civil matter, not criminal

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

Yes thankyou for your help cant believe how stupid we have been but they are very clever and ply you with champagne during the sales pitch.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry - just treat this is a lesson not to be repeated.

Alex Watts :

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer:

no thanks for advice

Alex Watts :

Happy to help. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go - it should be a button at the bottom of the page. Thanks