UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hello. I am an Off-Shore worker living in UK (Stockport) and

Hello.
I am an Off-Shore worker living in UK (Stockport) and I am a citizen of Romania. My work schedule is 3 weeks Off-Shore followed by 3 weeks at home.
I am married and I have a 14 year old son.
My wife wants a divorce and she intends to return permanently to Romania.
Whould I be allowed by law to hire an Au-Pair live-in nanny to live in the house and stay with my son while I am at work for three weeks?
Alternatively, starting at what age can I just live him home alone for the three weeks when I am at work and hire someone just to come a few times a week to cook and do the cleaning?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, you are allowed to hire a live in nanny to look after your child while you are at work.

Although the law does not specify a minimum age at which children should be left home alone, you need to use your own judgement to decide at what age your child may be left alone.

However, the NSPCC advises that children under 16 should not be left home alone overnight, see here for further information:

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/help-and-advice/for-parents/keeping-your-child-safe/being-home-alone/home-alone_wda96754.html

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I can actually let my son live alone with a nanny for 3 weeks? Bear in mind that during the 3 weeks when I am at work I will not be returning home, as the oil rig I work on is off Danish coast.

Yes, as long as your son is not left alone and the nanny is there with him.

All the best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your advice.

I contacted NSPCC and I have been told the same.