13262538

I currently live with my partner (I divorced some time ago),

I currently live with my partner (I divorced some time ago), in her property which is mortgaged. I am proposing to ‘invest’ in this property, the main effect of which will be to reduce her mortgage. As a result of this I would want to own a share of the property by a transfer of an appropriate proportion to me, based on the level of my investment. The property has been valued recently.
Are there any issues of which I should be aware? The proposal seems reasonably straightforward on the face of it, the major points being how we deal with any future sale and on the death of either of us, ensuring that his is catered for in our wills.
Just to check - have you at least considered what could happen if you did separate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, sorry, that's part of what I meant about future sale. I feel that I need to secure my 'investment' in some way, most likely by 'tenants in common'?

You are correct holding the property as Tenants in Common with Wills is certainly the best option in the event of death - and you can either have a Declaration for Trust which deals with the process to be followed if you no longer wish to live together - or a a Cohabitation Agreement which does the same thing
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for you reply. Would a legal charge on the property serve a similar purpose, and if so would it be usual to require the permission/agreement of the mortgagor to go ahead with this?

Ah.
Do you intend to go on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, my intention is to provide funds that will reduce the outstanding mortgage, I want to secure part of the property against the value that I put in.

A charge would not give you the right to live in the property and could limit your ability to insist on an immediate sale in the case of separation.
It would be better instead to have a Declaration of Trust drawn up stating that the property is held by your partner on trust for the pair of you in whatever shares are agreed - and which also confirms the basis on which the trust can be determined.