LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I purchased a car off an on line auction ebay, I placed an

I purchased a car off an on line auction ebay, I placed an £500 deposit when I came to get the car it had more faults then listed the seller will not return me depoit and is now is he will take me to court if he has to sell it to regrain the lost can he do this
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Can you tell me what the extra faults were and what faults the seller admitted to?

Customer:

Hi there I am sorry but the spelling may not be to good

Customer:

The car was a Classic car on ebay which sold for £8,500 as part of his sale I had to pay £500 deposit which I did bu pay pal when I looked at the car it had mor faults , I then asked if I could bring a frend who is a mechanic to look over the car the following night which we did . The mechanic looked over te car the engine was over filled with oil, there was awater leak and could not road test the car

Customer:

The sell had put on ebay that the car had been restored from front to back ! Obviously due to long term storge of some of my cars Im trading I suggest a good service / overhaul of all fluids, brakes rubbers clutch running grar engine and electrics would be advisable and in some cases needed

LondonlawyerJ :

Have you considered using ebays resolution centre to recover your deposit?

LondonlawyerJ :

Is the person you bought form a professional trader?

Customer:

yes this is happening but the seller is saying he will sell the car and what ever his lost is , he will take me the county court to get , can he do this. I would let the £500 go and have a loss and call it a day ?

Customer:

He has sold alot of cars on ebay, looking at his histroy but he has no sale room just a old barn.

LondonlawyerJ :

He can try but would be unlikely to succeed. If he has misrepresented the condition of the car and you have paid money to him as a deopsit you are entitled to it back and he has no legitimate claim against you for compensation.

Customer:

OK thank you for your help and advice