LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

My female cousin aged 57 has lived in a Council house with

My female cousin aged 57 has lived in a Council house with her parents all her life; her Father died some years ago and the tenancy passed to her Mother, who has recently died.
I believe my cousin could not take on the tenancy, but does the Council have an obligation to house her (they have already advised that she cannot remain in the current three bedroom Council House)? Thank you.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

You are right that she cannot succeed to the tenancy as there has already been one succession to her mother. The council will not have an obligation to house her unless she has some kind of need (eg a disability or a minor child). I take it the local authority have not yet served a Notice to Quit.