75100385

I just put down a deposit for a room to rent for beauty treatment,

I just put down a deposit for a room to rent for beauty treatment, for 1800 GPB on the 21st august.
I changed the start date from the 1st november to 1st january.
The reason for changing my mind is that I decided to stay with my present employer. I told him that it was for professional reasons.
He refuses to give my deposit back saying that he lost options to rent the room again.
He did not give me any contract to sign, nor did I ask for one.
Can I just assume that any deposit is a non refundable deposit or is it that it should be refunded unless there are clear mentions that it is not refundable?
Where do I stand?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Was it ever discussed that the deposit would be returned in the event you changed your mind please?
Customer:

No this was not mentioned in any email correspondence, or on the phone.

Customer:

The deposit was given on the 21st August.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

Alex Watts :

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

Alex Watts :

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

Alex Watts :

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Alex Watts :

Customer:

I changed my mind and postponed the starting date of using the room. Now on the 9th of September I sent an email to inform him that I was no longer taking the room for professional reason. The reason being that I decided to stay with my present employer. But according to your answer above, It looks like I am in my full right to obtain a refund for the deposit?

Alex Watts :

Yes you have a claim to get a refund

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

Yes this helps,

Customer:

Alex Watts :

Great, if this answers your question might I invite you to rate my answer today. The button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply