75100385

Hi There I have a commercial property dispute regarding my

Hi There
I have a commercial property dispute regarding my return of deposit from the Landlord. I have been renting the property for 9 years and on commencement of the lease no list or inspection with the letting agent for the fixtures and fittings of the unit was recorded.
During the 9 years the property was flooded on many occasions due to bad drainage and at no time was this fixed by the Landlord despite many request and email showing damage to carpets and unit.
My lease has ended at the end of August 2014, and I painted, cleaned and left the premises in a better condition than I received it. The Letting agent inspected the premises the first week September and thanked me for leaving the premises in good condition, but noted that there were some carpet tiles that showed wear and needed to be replaced but would create a problem due to blending in with the rest of the carpet tiles due to water damage. I explained to the letting agent that I could not be held responsible for the carpets due to the flooding as mentioned above, and the lease stated fair wear and tear.
Today 12th September 2014, I received an email from the letting agent informing me that the carpets, the blinds and the railing in the bathroom need to be replaced at my cost and deducted from the rental deposit.
I do not understand how all of sudden there are additional items when the Letting agent after his inspection only questioned 6 carpet tiles and none of the above.
My lease states that the deposit needs to go into a separate interest bearing account and on asking for the amount of interest due to me no answer has been given.
Please can you advise my legal rights in getting my full deposit returned? I would also like to enquire what is the legal time period after leaving premises that the deposit is returned. Is the Landlord entitled to deduct any monies without notice to myself?
Lastly I sent an email to the Letting Agent lodging a complaint and informing him not to deduct from the deposit and he told me by return email to get legal counsel.
I would appreciate your advice on this situation
Lorraine
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi There,

PLease can you continue as I need a legal answer regarding this. Please advise how much longer it will take.

Lorraine

Hello Lorraine,
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. I'm afraid JustAnswer cannot guarantee a time, although most questions are answered in a timely manner.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
How much is the deposit please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

The deposit is 1125 pounds, and I am a small business so this is an amount I need for my deposit going forward.

Thank You

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

I moved out at the end of August 2014. The Landlord has not told me what the costs are going to be deducted so how do I write a claim setting out my losses,when I do not know the amounts being deducted? What would the content of the claim be, and is there an example to follow as I have never done this before.

Thank you for your help.

The claim would be the total deposit. Your deposit should have been returned by now.
You just need to say on the claim you paid your deposit on x date.
You moved out on x date and the deposit has not been returned.
But first you need to write and set out your losses - this may prompt the return of such deposit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

What would my losses be?

The total value of deposit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex,

Is there anywhere I can get an example of a claim online to give me an idea as to what to write, as you say that I must write out and set out my losses.

I would appreciate it if I could get get an example.

Not really. There are only claim form templates online.
But as I have said, all you need to say is:
You want a full payment within 14 days or you are going to Court.
That is it. Short and to the point.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You Mentioned in a previous answer

"But first you need to write and set out your losses - this may prompt the return of such deposit."

Please explain what this would be and can I ask for the interest as per the Deed of deposit.

You can ask for
1) Deposit
2) Interest as per the agreement
Does that help?
I am just seeing if you are ok with this or need more help?
It's just a follow up.
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for following up.

Do I mention anything about the flooding or purely ask for the deposit and interest.

Thank you for your help

Don't worry about the flooding - just deal with deposit and interest.
Does that help?