LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

council tenant give notice to quit 2 bedroom property

Customer Question

council tenant give notice to quit 2 bedroom property retracted 2 days later . council serving notice to quit but will find 1 bed property for tenant. we do not want to move can the council evict us

Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

The answer will depend on a number of things. How long have you been a council tenant. Do you know if you have full security of tenure? Why did the council want to remove you from your home?

Customer:

we have been council tenants with sheffield homes city council for 9 years. WE are secure tenants . we put notice to quit in on friday the 11th of july we were hoping to re locate to chesterfield but after a traumatic weekend we knew this was the wrong thing to do. We went to council office as soon as they opened mon 14th of july .we were assurred that nothing would happen just poberlly have to resign for property. a man came to see us on the 28th july to interview us told us again not to worry , that if the worst come to the worst he would plead us a good case as we were in his words model tenants. on fri the 5th of sept we were contacted to say our tenancy had been refused, and they would help us to move to a 1 bed property, at present we are in a 2 bed flat which we have council approved at our own expence spent upwards of £4,000 putting in upvc windows also internal doors . WEalso have a dog but were given no reassurance we could take him with us also told we had no right to appeal.

Customer:

Hope this makes sense

Customer:

Jeff &Viv Sykes

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no more information to give, we have sent a letter of complaint in .

we have had no reply from council .

what sort of further information do you need.

yours J & V Sykes

I am struggling to understand this. Were you served with a notice by the Council or did you serve one yourself on the council? You, soon after realised you did not want to leave and told the council this but they are intending to take back the property? Have I understood this right?