75100385

We are a dog display team which is part of a dog training club

Customer Question

We are a dog display team which is part of a dog training club and not a business. We wish to obtain a 3.5t van to carry our equipment to and from events. We also wish to be able to tow a caravan for overnight accommodation at some of these events. We would like to know legal requirements in terms of licencing, insurance etc. We believe that such a vehicle would be exempt from some limitations that would apply if used for "Hire or Reward".
We would welcome your advice.
Jerry Hepworth
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. Please continue to the advice we are seeking, as indicated I have also contacted the caravan club. I would not expect an answer for a few days.

Many thanks.

Jerry Hepworth

Hello Jerry,
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Are you renting it out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no, van will be purchased for, committee authorized, dog club members use, for club activities.

Ok so it's for general use with no fee?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We will be carrying club owned equipment to events for which we charge a fee for carrying out dog agility displays. We will not be carrying or making any charge for the transport of any other goods. Some of our team believe that if we are charging a fee for our displays that constitutes "Hire or Reward", which I underst

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We will be carrying equipment owned by our club, and/or its members, to events for which we charge a fee for carrying out dog agility displays. We will not be carrying or making any charge for the transport of any other goods.

Some of our team believe that if we are charging a fee for our displays that constitutes "Hire or Reward", which I understand means being paid specifically for either other persons use of the van or the carriage of goods not owned by or for the use of our club members

Yes indeed it is hire or reward.
In terms of licencing anyone who is qualified to drive that vehicle may do so. In terms of insurance you just need to go through a broker and make sure it includes the terms for reward.
Clearly it is not for hire but it is for reward.
Otherwise that is the only condition you need to be aware of.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

From DVLA - a business van carrying only goods owned and used by that business is exempt from Hire or Reward conditions. Would not the same apply to a club? A 3.5tonne van towing a trailer would then exceed 3.5 tonnes gross and if used for the carriage of goods which the operator is paid to transport would require to be fitted with a tachometer any driver subject to hours regulations. We hope we could avoid that situation.

Indeed. But the goods are not owned and used by the business. You are carrying others as I understand it and charging a fee?
If it was the clubs owns then you would be fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can confirm that the display equipment we will carry is owned by our club who will also be the vehicle owners.

Ok - then that is fine, no special licencing and indeed it does not need to have hire or reward on the insurance.
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You have confirmed my understanding of the legalities in respect of our club purchasing a van for the use we require.

Jerry Hepworth

Thanks!