13262538

Me and my husband have recently split up, we have a car on

Me and my husband have recently split up, we have a car on finance but it is in his name even though payments have always come out of a joint bank account. Do I have the right to keep the car?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Does your husband agree to you keeping the car and will you continue paying off the finance?
How long have you lived together and are there any children involved?
What assets and debts are there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My husband won't agree to me keeping the car, we have a son aged 12, who is with me, the assets we have is our house and the car, we have minimum debts which we have halved, I would keep up repayments on the car but I don't think it's right that he should have it as it was our family car. Need to know where I stand legally on this.

The car is a family assets and you have as much right to it as your ex.
Indeed in the event of a dispute it is likely that the court would say that you should keep the car since you need it to transport your son.
You should offer to discuss this with your ex using family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk)
Please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.