29905560

hi I work for an investment bank and recently gave an interview

hi
I work for an investment bank and recently gave an interview at a competitor. Everything was going well until one of my clients called me and informed me (inadvertently) that had contacted them about me (this is one of their clients as well). The situation then suddenly became very awkward and i was turned down the same day. I believe the client informed them that they told me by mistake.
The job is not the end of the world but the damage they have done by informing my client is very big and embarrassing. Do I have any rights on this matter and have I basically been shafted and cant do anything about it.
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What are you hoping to achieve in this situation?
Customer:

What can I achieve? What are my rights under the circumstances?

Customer:

Is that it, you want me to rate that?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I just got a question back to my question and then was asked to rate the answer.
Hi, I have not been able to answer your query as I was offline this morning when you replied. Any requests to rate would have been sent automatically by the system, without knowing no answer was provided yet. Do you still need help with your query?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry about that Ben,

Yes I do.

Khalid

Hi Khalid, no problem, the system can be a bit confusing sometimes.
Were you offered the job at all or was it still in the consideration stage? Also apart from the loss of the potential job, what other losses have you suffered?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ben,

The major loss is that my client knows I am looking for another job. This undermines my credibility and the credibility of the firm I am currently working for. Also if the client now mentions this to other people I could get in to a lot of trouble in my current role.

I guess my question is, it legal for them to call people without my permission and ask about me and disclose that you are interviewing with them? If it is not, what are my options?

This would potentially be a case of a breach of data protection and whilst you can raise that argument with them, the issue is that it is not that easy to make a claim for it. This is mainly because you will have to show that you have suffered losses as a result. You cannot include the potential job with this employer because no offer had been accepted by you and they could have easily withdrawn that opportunity at any stage before that anyway. So you are only looking at actual losses you have suffered as a result from this, or you will have to wait to see if other losses may be subsequently incurred by you due to this and then consider claiming then. Unfortunately the law will not cover you for any inconvenience, stress or damage to reputation that may have resulted from this. You must be able to show actual losses incurred as a direct result of the breach made by the other party. If you cannot do so then your options are rather limited. You may still consider pursuing this directly with them through a formal complaint if they have any such system but this is left in their own hands and they will make a decision on whether anything they did was wrong or not and it is not a process where anyone can force them to do anything to resolve this. As mentioned, this can only happen if you have incurred actual losses from this and you would still have to take them to court and win before you can claim anything back.
Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you. Also could you kindly update your rating as the system still shows your earlier choice, thanks
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks thats what I needed to know.