LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

My ex gave me a car as a gift. now we've split up he's taken

My ex gave me a car as a gift. now we've split up he's taken it from me. I am the registered keeper. can he do this?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this. If this was a gift (ie he gave it to you as the sole owner) then he can not take it from you. He has probably stolen it and has no right to do so. Are you prepared to report this to the police?

Customer:

hi. Thankyou so much. He says if I report it stolen he will tell police he 'sold' it to me on an HP type agreement and that i failed to pay him so he took the car back. The car was paid for by his business and he says therefore it's technically half his business partners too who also refuses to let me have it back.

LondonlawyerJ :

What sort of ex is he, ex-husband, ex cohabiting partner, ex boyfriend of a few months. Was it a straight forward no strings gift?

Customer:

ex cohabiting partner of 4 years. definitely a no strings gift at the time.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can someone please get back to me I have paid £18 and still have no definitive answers! Thankyou

If you want it back then you will either need to report it to the police or take civil action. The police are likely to be more effective especially in the short term. His lies are his responsibility. It is no unusual for thieves to lie.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So the law is definitely on my side then, that the car is mine? he is a mechanic and keeps quoting the registered keeper isn't the legal owner and that he has receipts etc (which I doubt) I need to make sure. I live in a small town and there will repercussions if I get it wrong.

Based on what you have told me you are the owner of the car.