UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I think my question is simple, I November 2013 I was looking

I think my question is simple, I November 2013 I was looking for a better deal on my electricity supply and I was actually approached by telephone by a provider and as part of their process they sent me a 'Letter of Authority' to sign and return to them. On receiving this document there was a paragraph I was really uncomfortable with giving them the authority to terminate my contract with my then current supplier, at this point I decided to to pursue any deal with them. After many high pressure phone calls from them pestering me to return the 'Letter of Authority' and assurances that they wouldn't just terminate my existing contract; I rightly or wrongly removed the offending paragraph and returned it. I have recently found out that they did terminate my contract with my current supplier and assume control of my supply. So my question is: - Was I within my rights to amend the 'Letter of Authority' and if so was the onus on them to check and validate the 'Letter of Authority'. Can I claim that they broke this contract by acting in the way they did.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

Yes, you were within your right to amend the Letter of Authority the way you did and the onus was on them to check what you had done.

Yes, you may claim that they were in breach of the Letter of Authority by terminating your contract without your consent as you did not consent to them doing this as you amended the Letter of Authority.

May I help further?