tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

We are transferring a piece of land left as allotments in 1730.

We are transferring a piece of land left as allotments in 1730. There are no deeds. The original charity has been closed and the Charities Commission advised us to consider the ownership of the property as "vested" in the Trustees. We wish to transfer the land to the Parish Council but the Land Registry requires evidence of transfer of deeds. How can we do this please?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I would like to know what your experts think. We are disappointed that we still have to do a transfer even though we have no documentation other than records made by the Charity Commissioners in an enquiry they held nationally in around the 1830s. The original allotments left in a bequest in 1730 were eventually moved in the nineteenth century to another piece of unregistered land. It is this piece of land we want to pass to the Parish Council so that things can be put in order and the allotments run properly. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I should welcome some advice.Thank you.

Elizabeth Dolman

Hello Elizabeth,
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hi thanks for your question. My name is***** can answer this for you.

You need to register the land with the Land Registry first. This means you need to apply on form FR1 and go through that process. There is a detailed guide as to how to do this when you do not have the deeds - there is formal guidance here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/first-registration-of-title-where-deeds-have-been-lost-or-destroyed/practice-guide-2-first-registration-of-title-where-deeds-have-been-lost-or-destroyed

Then, once you have a registered title, you can do whatever you please with it in the usual way, which is very easy to do then. You can just transfer using the TR1 form, which is simple to complete.

Tony

tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 11 years experience of general practice.