75100385

Hi, I have lived in my rented house with my small daughter

I have lived in my rented house with my small daughter for just over a year and a half. Since moving in my neighbour (I live in the centre of a terrace of houses) has written me numerous letters regarding noise. This was initially pertaining to my boiler which is at the back of the house and he has asked that I not use this in between the hours of 10pm and 8am as it was affecting their sleep, which in the middle of winter in a house with single glazing to the back and a small child is not always feasible.
Since then the letters have become more accusatory stating that I have a radio on at night (which I don't), that I am skyping people at 3 in the morning (which I am also not as tend to be fast asleep well before then) from my daughters bedroom.
I have asked my other adjoining neighbour if she has any issues with noise emanating from my house and she has stated that she doesn't hear a thing and is a light sleeper as she has two children.
Unfortunately he appears to be escalating and has had a number of issues with all of our row of neighbours (complained aggressively about children playing ball games 2 doors down, complained that 1 neighbour had used our shared access at the back too many times, complained that another neighbour was singing in the shower, etc.). Unfortunately his behaviour appears to be escalating into aggressive and unreasonable behaviour to the point that a neighbour last week had to call the police after an aggressive and abusive tirade about treading too loudly on a drain in our shared access outside his house.
I have had another letter today claiming that the sound of a radio from my daughters bedroom has kept them awake between the hours of 00:10 and 02:10 for the past few months and that there are thuds coming from my living room.
I work full time and my daughter is at school so our house is empty for most of the day only returning at 6; however not wanting to upset or cause any aggravation with neighbours I have now moved my 4 year old daughter into my bedroom as the majority of complaints emanate about her bedroom. I have also refrained from using my heating and hot water systems; but this doesn't seem to have alleviated any of his issues.
I don't want to move as both my daughter and I love our house and our other neighbours but I am starting to feel harassed and intimidated by my neighbour and my child is visibly frightened of him, having heard some of his arguments with other neighbours.
Is there anything that I can do?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Has the Landlord said anything to you please?

Customer:

Customer:

I have had nothing from the landlady and the property is managed through an agents, having been a private tenant for over 10 years and in similar properties I have never had any issues like this and have excellent references from all previous properties.

Alex Watts :

Ok - what is it you want to achieve please?

Customer:

I don't want to disturb any of my neighbours or live with this animosity, but I also don't want to be bullied out of my home or harassed. I have tried to discuss this with him (which he initiated, as he had invited me round to discuss this) and offered to give him access to my home and work with him to pinpoint what was causing the disturbance, I have also offered to have the environmental agency involved to monitor noise pollution from my property to try and again pinpoint if there is actually an issue and what is causing this; but during this meeting he appeared not to want to resolve the issue and did not accept these proposals but instead made derogatory remarks about the fact that I was a single mother and suggested that the best solution would be for me to move out as it was better for them when the property was empty.

Alex Watts :

Ok - is the neighbour also a tenant or own their property?

Customer:

They own their property

Alex Watts :

Ok - this is harassment you consider?

Customer:

That is what I feel, but I don't know from a legal perspective?

Alex Watts :

In reality probably not.

Alex Watts :

Because it is just a nasty neighbour

Alex Watts :

That does not mean that it is harassment

Alex Watts :

however I would report this to the Council as it may be considered anti social behaviour and the Council can take action under the 2013 Act

Alex Watts :

They have more powers now - so make sure you report it

Alex Watts :

That way you dont have to pay any expensive legal fees and they can take action for free

Alex Watts :

Customer:

No that is great thank you

Alex Watts :

Great. Can I help with anything else today please?

Customer:

No thank you once again for your help.

Alex Watts :

Thank you for the question

Alex Watts :

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go. The button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience