LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I have agreed to buy a new (second hand )van. Agreed purchase

I have agreed to buy a new (second hand )van. Agreed purchase price 31000 which was the advertised asking price. I asked for a trade in price and they said 8000.
A few days later they emailed me invoice with this trade in price included. I agreed invoice was correct and paid 23000. There are seperate cash extras to be paid for when I collect vehicle of 4000. I have since agreed to sell my vehicle privately for 9500. Transporterland who am buying new vehicle from claim mine was theirs to sell once I had agreed invoice was correct. They say they have sold vehicle and now have finance for that sale linked to it.They did ask me a few days ago for all details (vin no etc). I prresumed this was to make sure trade in was ok and not to sell vehicle. Surely van is still mine to sell until such time as I get new vehicle and take mine in to trade? I have always had van and log book with me, neither have ever been with them. Are you able to tell me where I stand on this?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

It seems that you have entered into a binding contract with the sellers of the new van, you agreed terms and paid the £23,000. At that point there is a contract. They can rely on your promise to part exchange the van to them and seem to have done so. I think the people you bought the van from are in the right here.