How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

When my mother died in early 2010 and her estate was wound

Resolved Question:

When my mother died in early 2010 and her estate was wound up, the family solicitor found 9,000 pounds in his client account, which had been there since my father died in late 1996. At that time my mother had expected some money from a life insurance policy my father had, but when my sister enquired some time later on her behalf, the insurance company said the money had been paid out, but were unable to give any further details.
The solicitor paid us 1,000 pounds interest and did some land conveyance work for us free of charge as compensation. Using an on line asset price calculator, the 9,000 pounds would have grown to just over 16,000 pounds had my mother received it and put it in a savings account, which is what she would have done with it.
I feel what the solicitor has done is not sufficient, apart from the monetary loss, my mother died thinking that money had been lost / paid out to the wrong person, as she mentioned it many times over the years. Surely the solicitor should have carried out scheduled audits of client accounts and notified my mother of it's presence, it was there for many years.
Your thoughts and advice will be much appreciated - thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear about this.

It would appear that the Solicitor was negligent and likely to have breached the Solicitors Accounts Rules 2011 and the SRA Code of Conduct by failing to identify that this money belonged to your mother and failing to account for the money to her.

You should lodge a formal complaint to the solicitor about this, point out that the money would have grown to 16,000 and ask them to pay you appropriate compensation (e.g. the 6K difference in interest) for their negligence and breach of the above Rules and Code.

If the Solicitor does not uphold your complaint, you may take the matter further by complaining to both the SRA and the Legal Ombudsman, see here:


May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions