UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

We have been married for 12 years but our finances have always

We have been married for 12 years but our finances have always been separate and monthly costs (rent, food etc) have been split 50/50 (recorded on a spreadsheet); this has been done due to my husband having to pay maintenance (he also spends a lot on his son out of guilt) for his son in Cape Town. We do not have a joint account. I was recently awarded £145,000 for a personal injury claim (it has been a long a difficult recovery process due to a RTA) and we've decided to buy a house and will use my money as part of the deposit. I have asked my husband whether we can stipulate the amount that I am giving towards the deposit (I am giving £170,000 in total whereas he is giving £35,000) in the event of us getting divorced one day that I am able to get my % of the deposit back plus half of the sale price. This request has caused him to question my love and loyalty to him and our marriage. I have explained that I am just trying to protect myself in the event of him leaving me (we do not have any kids). The house will be in both our names and mortgage split 50/50.
My question: Would a divorce court take my contribution into consideration and award me my entitlement whether or not my deposit % is recorded or documented in the deed? Am I leaving myself exposed by not having it documented?
Sent from my iPad
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

The quick answers to your questions are that in the event of a divorce, the usual starting point for division of matrimonial property is 50/50, irrespective of the fact that you are contributing a larger amount towards the purchase of the property.

Yes, you are leaving yourself exposed if you do not document your contribution and I would suggest that you consider entering into a post nuptial agreement with him which governs how your assets will be split up in the event of a marital breakdown.

Post nuptial agreements are usually binding on the parties, see here:
http://www.family-solicitors.co.uk/Post_Nuptial_Agreements.php#.VBqHP2eYLDc

May I help further?