How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

We have been married for 12 years but our finances have always

Resolved Question:

We have been married for 12 years but our finances have always been separate and monthly costs (rent, food etc) have been split 50/50 (recorded on a spreadsheet); this has been done due to my husband having to pay maintenance (he also spends a lot on his son out of guilt) for his son in Cape Town. We do not have a joint account. I was recently awarded £145,000 for a personal injury claim (it has been a long a difficult recovery process due to a RTA) and we've decided to buy a house and will use my money as part of the deposit. I have asked my husband whether we can stipulate the amount that I am giving towards the deposit (I am giving £170,000 in total whereas he is giving £35,000) in the event of us getting divorced one day that I am able to get my % of the deposit back plus half of the sale price. This request has caused him to question my love and loyalty to him and our marriage. I have explained that I am just trying to protect myself in the event of him leaving me (we do not have any kids). The house will be in both our names and mortgage split 50/50.
My question: Would a divorce court take my contribution into consideration and award me my entitlement whether or not my deposit % is recorded or documented in the deed? Am I leaving myself exposed by not having it documented?
Sent from my iPad
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

The quick answers to your questions are that in the event of a divorce, the usual starting point for division of matrimonial property is 50/50, irrespective of the fact that you are contributing a larger amount towards the purchase of the property.

Yes, you are leaving yourself exposed if you do not document your contribution and I would suggest that you consider entering into a post nuptial agreement with him which governs how your assets will be split up in the event of a marital breakdown.

Post nuptial agreements are usually binding on the parties, see here:

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you