seanferguson13
seanferguson13, Solicitor
Experience:  3 year qualified solicitor with expertise in UK taxation.
77909803

HiMy father has just died and although we know the solicitor

My father has just died and although we know the solicitor who has his will, we have been told we not entitled to know who the executor is. This is a concern for my sister and I, as there is a forty year age gap between us which that means most of his relations have now died. At one point my late husband was the executor. All we want is to make sure he doesn't waste time trying to contact people that mostly likely have passed away. Do we have any rights.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's fine I don't mind waiting thank you
Anna(Donnelly)
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  seanferguson13 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there
Unfortunately, it is correct that you do not have a right to know the identity of the executor prior to probate being granted -as you cannot see the will. However, as soon as probate is granted, the executor will be listed on that document. That document is a public document and you can apply to the court for a copy for a fee of £4.
In the meantime, I'm afraid you are left with little option but to appeal to the solicitor directly and inform him/her of the details you are aware of in the hope this will speed the process up.
Sean
Hi - if I can be of any further assistance then please let me know. If not, I would be grateful if you could close the question.
Sean
seanferguson13, Solicitor
Experience: 3 year qualified solicitor with expertise in UK taxation.
Sean
Please note that due to Law Society rules I am unable to provide you with specific legal advice. As such the above constitutes legal information only.