UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have recently divorced. During the early years of marriage,

I have recently divorced. During the early years of marriage, my father in law very kindly helped out financially between 1994 and 2001. At no time was any discussion had as to repayment. Suddenly having divorced my wife for adultery, he ha presented me with a demand for £7300 with a threat of court action should I not pay. What are my options?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Ifyou do not wish to pay the money back, you should inform him that:

1) it was a gift and not a debt unless he is able to prove that it was a debt; and

2) that even if was a debt, he is now statute barred from claiming the money as more than 6 years have passed under the Limitation Act 1980 since the money was last given to you in 2001.

So, if he takes you to court, you may defend his claim on the above points.

There is nothing stopping you from paying back the money if that is what you want.

May I help further?