13262538

Hi, I am trying to apply for a Passport for my Son (14 years)

Hi, I am trying to apply for a Passport for my Son (14 years) who has been living with me (his Father as detailled on Birth cert) for the past 3 years. (he has very little to no contact with his Mother in this time). My understanding is that due to him being born before 2003, I don't automatically get 'Parental Responsibility' even though my name is ***** ***** Birth Cert. So I believe I am unable to sign the Passport form (as his Mother wouldn't be interested in signing). I'm guessing the only way forward would to be to apply for a Residency order? Please Help/Advice
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nicola

Please carry on searching, as I would still like an answer.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Are you in contact with his mother and is she likely to co-operate with the paperwork?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare

We have had very little contact, and she has stated on more than one occasion that she has disowned him. I know that she won't be helpful with paperwork, and I'm pretty sure the only way this is going to get resolved once and for all is going through the courts.

C

Your starting point is to use Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) to ask his mother to sign a Parental Responsibility Agreement
http://www.familylaw.co.uk/system/uploads/attachments/0006/9051/C_PRA1.pdf
If she refuses then you need to apply to the court for a Parental Responsibility Order
The form you need is here
http://www.familylaw.co.uk/system/uploads/attachments/0002/1995/c1_e.pdf
and the fee is £215.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks but, I had already come to that conclusion. No further information has been gained.

C

I am sorry that you felt my service was poor meaning that I get no credit for my time and which is not necessary for and does not trigger a refund.
I am afraid I can only tell you what the legal position is - and you need to obtain Parental Responsibility in Order to obtain a Passport
Family mediation must be attempted prior to the court application.
Do apply for the Parental Responsibility Order - it lasts until 18 whereas other orders end at 16.
You can also apply for a Child Arrangement Order stating that the child lives with you - this would avoid the question of whether or not your ex agrees to any trips abroad
If there is further information that your require then please ask
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.