My daughter was attacked in her own home on Sunday night while

Customer Question

My daughter was attacked in her own home on Sunday night while her 10math baby was asleep upstairs. The attacker was caught by the police and released on pre bail until 12 Oct. Since the attack no witness statements have been taken by any of the people that came to her aid. And no police officers have returned our calls regarding the case. The attacker lives 200 yards away from my daughter. We would like to know where we stand and what we can do about complaining how my daughter is being treated by the police in this matter. After all she is the victim and feels we been left high and dry . Many thanks a concerned mother vanessa

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Sorry if I'm missing the point but what were you hoping to complain about?

They have taken the report. Is the essence of this that you were expecing them to have done everything already?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Shouldn't witness statements of been taken by now 5days have passed.

Shouldn't they be returning my daughter's calls to answer her querieries like explaining what pre bail means and what is in place to protect her from this person doing this again. Etc.

No. In fact, I wouldn't have expected them to do it that quickly. They are dealing with emergencies as well. There is no time pressure here. This person is on bail until October. I would be surprised if they do it any time before the end of September. Witnesses do have other commitments and may not be able to drop everything to offer a statement. Sometimes pressure has to be brought upon them but not here. Apart from anything else, if they are not treated sensitively they will just refuse to give evidence which is counter productive.

In terms of returning phone calls, they should do that but this only happened Sunday so the calls must have been subsequent to that. Today is only Friday so the delay, at the very highest point, is one of three or four days which is not excessive. The officer in the case will explain things of that nature and he may be on rests days or at court giving evidence or dealing with the many other cases that he will have that are time sensitive.

If he is pre charge bail then probably there aren't any conditions. There may be a condition of non contact possibly but its always superfluous because there are offences that cover contacting a witness.

You can always complain to a more senior officer or to the IPCC but, at this stage, there are not really grounds.

If they don't do it at all and the matter fails at court for that reason then that is different and would be grounds for a complaint.

Witnesses can always contact the police themselves and offer to present themselves to make a S9 statement.

I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information. Also, if you make a complaint against them they are quite inventive at finding ways to take revenge. Complaints are always something to be very carefully considered as they just create an incentive for people to want to act against you. Unless you have really sound grounds its tends to be a bad idea.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No real explanation of how pre bail works. Patronising statement. I realise police are busy and have other cases. This was a serious assault. Single mum. 20years old. 10math baby sleeping in cot. When man breaks in. And beats her up,threatens to kill her in her own home. And get bail 13 hours later. No support from police or even victims support and he lives 200yards away. So I do think it should take some priority

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for reply. Seeing as this goes public I would like to point out that after paragraph one. The rest was added as I was unsatisfied with answer. But I am now ok with the reply I received.

Good luck.