12826847

I am being accused of bad work relating to a shower with lack

Customer Question

I am being accused of bad work relating to a shower with lack of water pressure,the lady was told that she would need a pump before fitting.she asked for the total amount back£1300 now 5 months on she has said she will except £800 or we go tto court.I am only the next door neighbour who she asked for help,which I have done on many occasions.there is more to this than water pressure.i,e new shower door,new shower tray and new shower waste,and thermostatic shower valve and riser rail
What is her specific complaint ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

lack of water pressure to start with,which was explained to her that she would need a pump.but she said she did not want one.she is saying it is faulty.I have offered to remove the shower valve and return to where it was purchased for testing,but she wont agree th this.i know really that it is not faulty.she is dring us mad with her accusations

Do you have a written record of the advice you gave her? Not in a letter but either in text or in email?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no,this was carried out over a cup of tea with my wife,as we had done in the past on numerouse occasions,she had previously asked me to arrange new windows,new front door,kitchen fitter,new storage heaters,which we saved her in excess of £2000 .she does not have internet.the plumber did mention in his invoice about the lack of water pressure and the need for a pump.he also mentioned the need for her to replace tiles.i will also add all the items in the past was for no financial gain.We thought we were helping a friend

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no,nothing in writing and she does not have internet or e/mail.the plumber,my wife and I all told her the need for a pump to give her the pressure she requires.but she was adamant she did not want one.just claims it is faulty.i have carried out many other things for her,saving her a considerable amount of money.my latest offer,was to ask plumber to remove shower thermostatic valve and return to shop for testing which I have offered to pay for.there is nothing wrong with anything else that we are aware of.We were very good friends before all this,its been going on for nearly 5 months

The fact that you weren't doing this for profit doesn't mean that you are not bound by the same duty.
However, if you did advise her of the risks and she chose to run it then that isn't your problem. Obviously you will have to prove that you did give her that advice but if you don't have it in writing then you will have to give oral evidence on the point in the hope the court accepts it.
In principle though you do have a defence.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

in her last letter she gives me an ultimatum £800 or go to court.what court would she be referring to

It's a fairly standard letter before action. .

She is saying that she will sue if you don't pay. Maybe she will. Maybe not. If she does you have a defence