75100385

I was stopped and fined for speeding in Northern Finland in

Customer Question

I was stopped and fined for speeding in Northern Finland in February 2012, however, I didn't pay as they told me I would be able to pay it over the internet in the UK. Upon returning I was told by a lady who works at Heathrow Airport that I needn't pay as it wouldn't be chased up.
Yesterday, I received a "notice of request for enforcement" via my local magistrates' court in London stating that they have received a request via The Netherlands for the enforcement of the £91 fine for "causing a traffic hazard". I was driving on a desolate road back to my hotel. There was some snow on the side-walks, but I certainly don't consider I was driving hazardously.
I'd completely forgotten about this episode and was amusingly surprised to receive this notice yesterday.
There's a court hearing on 2nd October 2014 where I can object to the application as long as it's submitted within 14 days from now.
What should I do next? Would it be in my interests to pay this fine now or do I have to wait until after the court hearing? Will there be court costs?
I've had a couple of speeding fines from France which I've always paid online as they chased me up about them. This Finnish one wasn't pursued in the same way as the French ones.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know whether you intend to get legal representation to fight this?

JACUSTOMER-w3pmgbpb- :

I wasn't planning to get legal representation.

Alex Watts : Ok. Personally I would just pay the £91
Alex Watts : you could contest the ticket but the problem is if you lose you would also have to pay for costs of the other side.
Alex Watts : its a penalty only, no points. So whilst in law you are entitled to defend and a court will set the matter down for trial, there will be another hearing not on 2 October for the trial. Do you really want to spend a day there and risk losing?
Alex Watts : But it is a matter for you. It can certainly be contested.
Alex Watts : Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-w3pmgbpb- :

Thanks, ***** ***** it possible to pay the £91 now or do I have to wait until the magistrates' hearing on 2nd October ? It's not clear whether I'll have to pay court costs for this hearing or not. It says that the court will consider the application from the Finnish authorities on that date, but that mean that I'll have to pay any costs incurred by their "consideration" in registering and enforcing the £91 fine ?

Alex Watts :

I would pay it now if you can and avoid any Court hearing.

Alex Watts :

If they have not requested anything further than the £91 then you wouldnt have to pay anything extra

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

JACUSTOMER-w3pmgbpb- :

Yes. I will contact them tomorrow and ask them if I can arrange payment. Thanks.

Alex Watts :

Great. Can I help with anything else today for you?

JACUSTOMER-w3pmgbpb- :

No that's fine thanks. The letter doesn't mention court costs so I just hope I can pay this before any court hearing and I don't incur any other costs. Thanks again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex - I called the magistrates' court and they told me that it would be advisable to attend the court hearing and that because it had already got to court then there would be court costs to pay despite your advice to the contrary. Court costs, however, were not referred to in the letter from Highbury Magistrates'.

I shall attend the hearing, but what would be your advice with regards ***** ***** I was told by the court?

Andrew.

Costs are discretionary, they are not a right.
Therefore if it is paid and settled, you can oppose any application for costs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK Alex, thanks for that. I'll put that into practice then on Thursday when I attend the court.

Andrew.

Great.