13262538

Hi, I am looking to end my marriage with my husband. My

I am looking to end my marriage with my husband. My husband and I got married back in January 2013. However, within the same week, he had to fly back to Pakistan due to an expired visa. Following the marriage however, my husband and I did not reside together and were to wait upon his return from pakistan to be living together as husband and wife according to traditions and religion. However, within that time, the marriage broke down and he became abusive and aggressive, emotionally blackmailing and threatening me. I would like the marriage annulled as it never really existed in the first place, apart from on paper. We didn't live together or consummate the marriage. Is this possible? My husband is still in Pakistan and we have not seen each other ever since we got married.
Did your husband refuse to consummate the marriage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Thank you for your reply.

He did not refuse to consummate the marriage, in fact it never even got to that stage. He had to go back to Pakistan within the week of our registration due to his visa expiring. However, it is coming up to 2 years now and we have not seen each other ever since, let alone having any sexual relation.

We did not reside together following that week of our registration either as I was not officially given away to him by my parents according to our cultural practice, but we had planned this upon his return from Pakistan. Obviously within that time frame things overturned and the marriage was short lived.

If it helps, he is also my first cousin, if that is any basis of annulling the marriage too. In my eyes the marriage in invalid as the marriage never really existed. I would much rather have an annulment rather than a divorce as I was only married on paper, not otherwise so.

I am afraid that there are no grounds on which the marriage can be annulled - the grounds are limited and very specific
However you do have grounds for a divorce - which would bring your marriage to a legal conclusion
Please ask if you need further information on achieving this