75100385

Hi Let down by fiancée at last minute. Have invested £2k in

Let down by fiancée at last minute. Have invested £2k in rings that She wanted, and £2.5k in honeymoon due to start 19th Sept. She put wedding back due to father in hospital, so we were going to take honeymoon as holiday. She owes me £1k for a loan to get her out of her old house/relationship from three months ago.
She asked me to marry her....have known her for five years.
Appears now that She is back with her ex husband though he still remains married. Have asked for some recompense regarding my expenses (She has none) including loan, but been told nothing doing.
Is this worth proceeding legally?
Steven
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Does she have the ring please?
Customer:

No, but she has asked for them back. They are a pair (engagement and wedding) which fit together/interlock.

Customer:

She offered £600. They cost me £1500

Customer:

I will keep mine

Customer:

BTW...are custom made as She asked for

Alex Watts : But you haven't given them to her yet?
Customer:

I still have them. She saw them two weeks ago when we went for a fitting/adjustment.

Customer:

I paid for everything, loan, honeymoon, rings etc. There has been no outlay by her. She asked for a loan to put a deposit down on a rented flat

Alex Watts : Ok. Then you don't need to give them to her unless she paid for it, which I doint.
Alex Watts : doubt
Alex Watts : They are yours until you give them.
Alex Watts : But there is no point seeking money from her - people break off engagements all the time.
Alex Watts : An engagement is only a promise to marry, but it is not legally binding
Alex Watts : As such you can not sue on it. You used to be able to in the olden days, but can't any more
Alex Watts : So no, you can't sue, but then she can't demand the rings.
Alex Watts : Move on with your life as if you sue it's not a clean break
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

What about the loan? Can I get this back?

Alex Watts :

Yes but you may need to issue proceedings

Alex Watts :

You can do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Alex Watts :

The Court will then issue the claim which will be sent to the Defendant and they will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce it. If the matter is defended it will be set down for a hearing. If the losses are £10,000 or less then it will be a small claim and you do not need representation.